articulate - adjective
1. having parts connected by joints, as in "articulated"
2. made up of distinct words joined together in such a way as to convey meaning
3. able to express oneself clearly and distinctly
4. well formulated, clearly presented

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

This Week's First Favorite: A Phone Call. A Gem. A Reminder.

Looking back through old blog postings reminded me of the fun I used to have posting weekly "favorites." They gave me something good to look for each week and something to write about while keeping in touch with my friends and family. The former smiles returned as I looked back over these seemingly inconsequential moments of my life.


Vagrant thought: How can any moment that brings a smile be inconsequential?


Somehow in the dry spell I've been traversing, I've lost sight of the wonder of looking for the bright spots. And I've decided it's time to do that again. And guess what! No sooner did I start looking for blessings than I started noticing them everywhere! Amazing how that works.

So the #1 Favorite of this week so far would have to be the unexpected, totally out-of-the-blue long-distance phone call I received this morning. It put a giggle in my voice, a sparkle in my eyes, and a huge grin on my face that has lasted a few hours now. Not so amazing, because that phone call brought me a visit with my old college friend, SueSam, pictured here.

Don't ask about her nickname. It was a college thing. I could explain it, but suffice it to say that it's one of the links that still connects us after 20-some years.
Ask me instead what it is about this particular person that always brings a smile to my face.

Unfortunately, I can't explain that. She's bubbly and funny and serious and thoughtful and kind and outgoing and introspective and a gem in my life.

I have a few such gems, a handful of enduring bright spots in my life, each one harking back to days of long ago, each one more precious to me than any earthly treasure.

They bring to mind the song we often hear during this month - Should old acquaintance be forgot?

No.

No!

A thousand times NO!

I don't do New Year's Resolutions, but if I were to make one this year, it would be to keep in better touch with the gems in my life. For as another song reminds us:

Make new friends, but keep the old... One is silver and the other gold.


No comments:

Post a Comment